Top 10 Best PEO Companies in 2023
- Horizons is the best international PEO for companies that need to hire globally.
- ADP Totalsource is the best full-service PEO for companies that need a comprehensive PEO solution.
- Paychex is our choice for best customer focus when it comes to PEO services.
- Insperity is the best option for startups and small businesses in 2023.
- TriNet are the top choice for industry-specific support.
- BBSI are the best PEO where you need additional value-added services.
- Infiniti HR are the top choice for enterprises and large companies that need full-scale HR and PEO solutions.
- Justworks are only US PEO with full pricing transparency. This makes them no. 1 for pricing.
- Amplify are the best PEO for employee wellbeing. Their benefits packages ensure employee healthcare and safety is the priority.
- AlphaStaff are the top pick for compliance. Their risk management focus is unrivalled in the PEO industry.
Top 10 PEOs — What We Looked For
Picking the right Professional Employer Organization (PEO) can be tricky. Business owners must take their available budget, current and future needs, geographic territory, and specific industry needs into account. Our list of Top PEO Companies provides something for everyone; a la carte and add-on options for fast-changing businesses, budget-conscious plans with flexible contracts, international capabilities to support expansion and remote teams, industry-specific support staff, entrepreneurial resources for new business owners, local expertise for regionally based businesses, and more.
The PEO companies on this list cover everything that a business could need in a PEO. As always, though, be sure your chosen PEO operates in the same regions as your business and employees, offers the tools that you need to continue growing, and provides the right coverage to keep your employees happy and safe.
Our reviews are based on an assessment of dozens of PEOs, looking at their customer reviews, service offerings and reputation within the industry.
BEST INTERNATIONAL PEO
1. Horizons (New Horizons Global Partners)
Horizons (formerly known as New Horizons Global Partners) is a leading international PEO onboarding and managing payroll for employees in 180+ countries. For genuine local expertise and international coverage, Horizons is currently leading the pack.
Horizons allows international companies to hire, onboard and pay employees in 180+ countries. It is one of the very few international PEOs to offer in-house recruitment, ensuring support for clients companies throughout the hiring journey.
Horizons pros and cons
Benefits of choosing Horizons as your global PEO include:
- Cost-effectiveness — starting from $299 per employee per month, no other PEO provides a better-value service internationally
- Wholly-owned infrastructure — while many other PEOs outsource to third parties, Horizons hires employees through its own entities providing you with complete compliance assurance
- Full-stack global hiring — as well as PEO services, Horizons can support your company with recruitment, contractor hire and visa services. Choosing Horizons means one hiring partner for all your HR needs
- Full pricing transparency — Setting it apart from some other PEOs, Horizons is up-front about its costs on its website, and doesn’t have hidden fees.
A potential downside of the Horizons service offering is that it does not currently provide services as a registered PEO in all US states.
If you are after a trusted international hiring partner, with genuine local expertise and at an affordable price, you can’t go past Horizons. For international PEO services Horizons is our number one pick.
Read more in our 2023 Horizons review.
BEST FULL-SERVICE PEO
2. ADP TotalSource
ADP is one of the largest PEOs in the world today, operating in more than 180 countries. ADP offers industry-specific services, focusing on manufacturing, retail, healthcare, hospitality, restaurants, technical services, professional services, financial services, education, nonprofits and social services, and construction.
Because of its large size, ADP TotalSource has developed some powerful advantages: Its online systems and mobile apps are well-designed, giving employees extra functions such as self-service payroll. Their size also allows them to offer competitive benefits plans through top national providers
ADP Pros and Cons
Benefits of engaging ADP TotalSource as your PEO solution include:
- Extensive benefits and insurance options — other PEOs offer limited or restricted benefits packages only. For this reason, ADP TotalSource was ranked best PEO software for benefits flexibility
- Powerful software tools, with multiple integrations and an intuitive employee portal
- Self-service payroll features
- Regular employee info updates
- Pricing not advertised on website — available by appointment only
- The services offered may be more than necessary for small companies and startups. It is important that budget-conscious companies choose the most cost-effective PEO for their situation.
With its large customer service department, comprehensive online services, and self-service payroll feature, ADP stands out for its client support. For those in need of a full-service PEO with all the trimmings, ADP is our top pick. For smaller companies, however, it may make sense to choose a PEO with a more narrow, but cost-effective, offering.
Read more in our comprehensive 2023 review of ADP TotalSource.
BEST CUSTOMER FOCUS
Paychex is one of the largest and most well-established PEOs in the United States, employing one in 12 private employees. Paychex has a well-deserved reputation for its commitment to customer service.
Unlike many other services, the Paychex support teams work directly with employees in providing HR support. By working directly with the staff, Paychex becomes an expert on their clients’ entire business process, which enables them to offer unique add-on services such as risk assessment, risk management, office management, digital marketing, and more. All clients work with a Payroll Account Manager and a Human Resource Generalist, however as they add on more services, additional consultants are brought on board. The more standard PEO services such as HR outsourcing, administration, and PEO benefits are available on an ‘add-on’ basis, providing a more flexible offering. Contracts for services are yearly.
Paychex Pros and Cons
- Risk-Assessment and Management
- In-House HR management service
- Comprehensive resources available online
- Tracks employee attendance
- 5 Employee minimum
- Less intuitive system interface
Paychex provides many popular features, such as a dedicated support team, a la carte offerings, and add-on business services making it a well-rounded option for many clients. Lack of industry-specific support, one-year contracts, a slightly clunky online user interface, and a 5 employee minimum may make it less attractive for others, however.
For more information, check out our 2023 Paychex PEO review.
BEST FOR STARTUPS AND SMALL BUSINESSES
Insperity focuses on providing the services most needed by small businesses. Since startups and small businesses often have very few administrative or support staff, Insperity provides an impressive team for each client that includes a Client Liaison, Payroll Specialist, HR Services Manager, Performance Specialist, and Safety Consultant.
Because the needs and resources of small businesses vary, Insperity offers customizable plans and packages with different services. To enable even better support, Insperity also provides well-designed apps for both Android and iOS.
Insperity Pros and Cons
Benefits of the Insperity PEO solution include:
- Flexible packages
- Online training courses available.
Potential drawbacks of Insperity include:
- 5 employee minimum
- Pricing not posted online
The full support team and custom options provided by Insperity are powerful benefits for resource-strapped small businesses (read more about how to optimize hiring for small businesses in our How to Hire for Small Businesses). For larger companies, this may be more than they need.
Read more about how Insperity can support you business in our detailed Insperity feature breakdown and analysis.
BEST FOR INDUSTRY-SPECIFIC SUPPORT
TriNet (alsio known as ‘TriNet Zenefits’) specializes in providing customized packages for different industries. As one of the largest PEOs in the US, it supports a diverse range of industries including retail, nonprofits, financial services, marketing, advertising, consulting, architecture, life sciences, manufacturing, wholesale, retail, technology, and consulting.
In addition to the standard PEO services, TriNet also provides industry-specific support teams that are familiar with the ins and outs of their clients’ businesses and their HR needs. This environment of professional guidance gives new business owners an extra resource to draw on as they plan their next moves.
TriNet Pros and Cons
Benefits of engaging a TriNet PEO solution include:
- Industry-specific packages
- Trends and Insights available
- Extra benefits available i.e. commuter benefits and pet insurance
- 5 employee minimum
- Packages only, companies cannot pick and choose which service they need.
TriNet provides some of the best industry-specific support services available. This makes it a good choice for businesses that want their HR support to reflect the unique cycles and culture of their industry. As there are currently no a la carte options, it may not be the best choice for those wishing to sign up for some, but not all, PEO services.
For a detailed analysis of TriNet’s PEO platform functionality check out our TriNet PEO review.
BEST VALUE-ADDED SERVICES
BBSI prides itself on not only providing standard PEO services, but on helping drive client businesses in other ways as well. BBSI interviews each client business owner to get to know their motivations and goals with their business. They then match owners with a team of local professionals who help clients shape their visions and offer additional consulting on business strategy, HR, and risk management.
BBSI provides all the key PEO offerings: Payroll, benefits administration and employment compliance. But BBSI doesn’t just stop there,they bring together local entrepreneurs and business owners for social events. BBSI believes the relaxed community atmosphere gives owners a chance to inspire and learn from one another outside of the traditional office environment.
BBSI Pros and Cons
Advantages of choosing BBSI as a PEO solution include:
- Active local offices
- Additional professional consulting services available from local leaders
A potential drawback of BBSI is that it does not have a local office in every state
By building a community of experts and peers, BBSI establishes a human support network that goes further than PEO services and online tools. For those located in areas covered by BBSI, especially new business owners, this could be a major advantage.
To learn more about BBSI’s offerings, check out our in-depth 2023 BBSI review.
BEST ENTERPRISE SOLUTION
7. Infiniti HR
While serving businesses of all sizes, Infiniti HR is especially geared toward larger businesses, specifically hotel management and franchises.
Since many large companies already have some HR services or do not wish to change benefits packages, Infiniti lets clients choose services a la carte. Those services include the usual HR administrative processing services provided by most PEOs, as well as recruitment, a big timesaver for growing large businesses. HR support teams focus on specific states, so even businesses with branches throughout the country can have local compliance experts available. Point-of-sale (POS) integration allows hotels, retailers, and restaurants to easily track work hours and tips.
Infiniti HR Pros and Cons
Advantages of Infiniti HR include:
- Franchise focused
- Recruitment services
- Customizable options
- Recruitment services available
- Integration with client POS systems
Potential downsides of going with Infiniti HR include:
- Not designed for smaller companies
- Slow app performance
- Unemployment and disability claims are not automated
While PEOs are famous for providing missing HR services for small businesses, Infiniti also has large businesses covered. For large employers in the hotel and franchise industry especially, Infiniti is an obvious choice. Recruitment services and local compliance experts in all 50 states makes expansion into new territories that much easier.
To learn more about how Infiniti HR can support your company, check out our detailed 2023 Infiniti HR review.
Unlike most PEOs, Justworks publishes their rates right on the public website. This level of transparency and flexibility is key to the Justworks system. All payments are made monthly; if new employees are added or old ones taken off, pricing will change each month to reflect the alteration.
In addition to the usual PEO service, for those who want extra support, Justworks has expanded services and benefits packages.
For business owners’ peace of mind, customer service is available at any time of day or night via phone, email, and SMS, online, or through Slack.
Justworks Pros and Cons
Benefits of the Justworks PEO service include:
- Simple pricing
- Round-the-clock customer support
- Fees adapt to number of employees
Potential downsides of going with Justworks include:
- Newer company
- Limited training resources available
- Time tracking is a paid add on
- Less services available for large international employers
For businesses who want to provide PEO benefits and admin support quickly and for a very competitive rate, the transparent offerings from Justworks are a simple, easy solution. Monthly payments make the service easy on revenue management and 24-hour customer service provides will be of great help to busy executives.
BEST FOR EMPLOYEES
Amplify is unique in providing Employee Assistance Plans (EAPs), which give confidential counseling to both employees and their families. These programs can help improve the mental and physical health of employees and their families. They can also lead to a healthier workforce down the road, with staff that takes less sick leave and has the tools to solve health issues that could decrease productivity or cause friction if ignored.
In addition to its formal employee assistance packages, Amplify also prides itself on quality customer phone service and a high degree of personal touch.
The Employer Practices Liability Insurance provided at no extra cost gives clients protection from liabilities such as wrongful termination. Amplify provides custom HR support, on-site assistance, and help with updating status and changing benefits forms.
Additionally, Amplify provides general ledger (GL) mapping for clients; helping them to get a birds-eye view of their business’s finances, and make the right decisions to cut costs and grow revenue.
Amplify Pros and Cons
Amplify benefits include:
- Competitive pricing
- GL mapping
- Employer Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) for all client businesses
- 24/7 customer support for employees and clients
- Employee Assistance Plans
Amplify downsides include:
- Less well suited for large businesses
- Coverage in only 15 states currently
Their competitive pricing plans also make Amplify an easy choice on the wallet. Their GL mapping service gives an added benefit, especially for quickly growing small companies as they struggle to keep abreast of their financial status. The EAPs offered with Amplify package are a good tool to attract staff and ensure the general health of the workplace. The EPLI provided then gives employers some security, knowing that they have some protection against potential lawsuits from disgruntled former employees. Amplify is still a fairly small company, however, and its services may be too limited for larger businesses.
BEST FOR COMPLIANCE
AlphaStaff specializes in risk management for their client businesses. It provides this with a variety of services such as flexible pay workers’ compensation coverage, OSHA compliance and abatement assistance, accident investigations, claims management, risk analysis, and customizable safety and health programs.
In addition to its risk management services, AlphaStaff also provides a user-friendly portal for onboarding new employees, easing the process of hiring and growing a workforce. What AphaStaff doesn’t provide is global payroll service.
AlphaStaff Pros and Cons
Benefits of choosing AlphaStaff include:
- Simple portal for onboarding new employees
- Assistance with OSHA abatement — best in class for PEO risk management
- Features for custom safety and health programs
A potential downside of AlphaStaff compare to some competitors is that it offers no global payroll option.
For businesses with a high risk of injury and large staffing requirements, i.e. construction or manufacturing, the AlphaStaff risk management services and simple onboarding portal will provide an advantage. For businesses wishing to hire international remote workers or expand internationally, it may be less suitable.
Read more in our detailed 2023 Alphastaff review.
Video — NAPEO on How to Choose the Right PEO
Which PEO is best for you?
Choosing the right PEO in a competitive and crowded market is no easy task. Businesses need to carefully consider:
- Does this PEO provide the most cost-effective solution for my company?
- Does the PEO have a reputation for customer service?
- Is this PEO well-suited to a business of my size, and in my industry?
Any decision must be made only after carefully reviewing the PEOs services and checking that any proposed PEO agreement is fit-for-purpose.
Very few PEOs provide their pricing on their website. Instead, it is expected that clients contact the PEO to request pricing. This reflects the fact that (a), PEOs usually offer tailored and tiered pricing based on the specific services needed and (b) pricing can change regularly depending on external factors like currency fluctuations (for the PEOs operating globally).
Most PEOs charge a fixed fee, per employee, per month. But others charge based on a percentage of total payroll costs.
Before deciding on a PEO, businesses must consider:
1. What are the medium-to-long-term growth projections for the company?
2. How long is the proposed PEO contract? (longer-term contracts can be riskier)
3. How many employees will be onboarded?
These factors will have a significant influence on total cost.
For more information on the cost of PEOs see our guide to PEO pricing.
Unlike other sites reviewing the largest and best PEO providers, RemotePad reviews are carried out by genuine industry experts. When choosing the top PEO companies operating today, All RemotePad contributors and editorial staff draw on significant first-hand experience in the PEO, remote work and payroll industries to inform their assessments. The RemotePad review process proceeds as follows:
1. The registration and compliance status of the PEO is checked with state government PEO registers, such as the New York State PEO List. Court and case registries are also checked to consider any PEO-related litigation.
3. Hundreds of customer reviews are analyzed to gather extensive information on PEO performance.
4. All reviews are independently fact-checked by another professional.